Tuesday 9 October 2012

Vegan Mofo 1st; Gluten Free Bread

Gluten Free Rosemary Focaccia

 
 
I’ve never made bread, with gluten or otherwise, so in the spirit of 1sts I bought some Mrs Crimbles Bread Flour mix and some dried yeast; never worked with that before. I found a recipe online for Basil and garlic focaccia, I’ve always wanted to make rosemary focaccia and we have a rosemary plant growing in the garden, so instead of sourcing basil (wrong time of the year) we went with rosemary, and we both love rosemary.

 
Basically you prepare the bread as per the box, adding oil, warm water and Yeast (scary) to the bowl. Then pop this on a greased tray, sprinkle with GF flour and make into a circle. In a small bowl mix Rosemary, olive oil, lemon juice, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. The fun part is poking big holes and sloshing the oil about, I needed photo taking help as my hands were messy, but I wanted a Photo!
 
TADA!!


Leave this to prove and it should grow, and then pop it in a preheated oven, till it turns golden brown (texture like sun) about 20-25 minutes. This was pretty awesome to eat alongside the gluten free pasta, a few olives and salad the flavour was really nice.

It did taste a little bit underdone and verged on the side of Yorkshire pudding or toad in the hole. I would make some changes next time, using less oil and trying to get the bread to raise a bit more, warmer water, or warmer proving space?


No comments:

Post a Comment