Monday 15 October 2012

Vegan Mofo 1st: Parmesan Cheese

Parmesan Cheese

 
I sprinkled this on some TVP mince and GF tomato pasta. Mmmmm
 
Found this on the Vegan Society website;
1 oz (25g) nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 oz (12g) blanched almonds
1 tsp salt
Grind all ingredients in food processor until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
Use as parmesan cheese. Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
 

 
Engevita is pretty big in the Vegan world right? To be truthful the last box of this I had went out of date...So I decided to give it another try. I think the taste takes a while to get used to, but can become pretty addictive, so I hear.  The almonds are a nice addition to give it more body, I would probably use more almonds next time to make this even more crunchy

What’s your favourite use of these little flakes?
 
 
Usually I use Life Free From's Parmazano, which is mostly made of Soya Flour, but being able to make Parmesan at home is pretty convenient, if you don’t eat it very often.

1 comment:

  1. I loooove nutritional yeast! I mainly use it in cheesy sauces but it's great on pretty much anything pasta based! I like that Parmazano stuff too, I always take it camping to perk up a one-burner meal!

    ReplyDelete