Saturday 20 October 2012

Vegan Mofo: Carrot Cake Cupcake

This is another 1st for me; Ive never used Carrots or Yoghurt in baking!

I was looking though Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and wondered "Why haven't I made these before!" They seem like a perfectly English recipe, and cake made of vegetable is healthy...right?


I was obligated in my new job to secure my position on the team by hosting the Cakey Friday, I think they made it up to exploit cake from me. These were so lovely, and a really hit with the team too! I kinda wish I had made two batches now!



 



At first I took them out of the oven and thought they looked a bit over cooked, then when I tried one, it seemed under done in the centre. I was almost ready to start over and make a new batch. But I cooled them and topped with a yoghurt frosting (adapted from Vegan Cream Cheese frosting) and sprinkled a thin layer of chopped walnuts!
 
 
Lots of Carrot, and a little Ginger and Cinnamon spice!
 
 
Carrot, Walnut and Raisiny goodness!
 
I put them in the fridge over night and the next day nervously handed them out. Trying one myself I realised they had firmed up nicely. These are very much a make in advance cake, perfect!
 
 
I used a bit pot of Alpro Soya Yoghurt for this recipe. My friend tried one, and she kept asking me, "How to you make the sponge so soft?"
 
These cakes could never be considered dry!!
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Carrot cake cupcakes are one of my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't made these, yours look great & I'll definitely be trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made these before. Carrot cake can be a hit or miss with me but yours are delicious looking. I think I'm going to need to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can confirm that these cupcakes tasted absolutely amazing. Really moist sponge and a creamy topping with delicious crushed walnuts. Yum yum. :-)

    ReplyDelete