Monday 22 October 2012

Vegan Mofo; tortilla española; con patata, cebolla y tomate


Spanish Omlette
 
 
This experiment was a total success - what a happy surprise, even my ovo-veg bf was impressed and wanted to eat more.
I developed recipe from a rough idea of; scrambled tofu I made years ago, recipe books I’ve read, and what I imagine is in a non-vegan Spanish Omelette. I read the difference between and omelette and a Spanish omelette is the oven grilling, so what about a frittata? I won’t get caught up in the specifics, but this did go in the oven/grill so it’s all good, right?
I started with the potato, onion and tomato and created the tofu mix while the potato was cooking, I leave the skins on for extra taste and fiber, peeling isnt cool.
My basic idea was to add spices to the tofu that I thought would make it taste good and nothing over powering. Cheesy flavour from Nutritional Yeast. Garlic and onion powder were recent discoveries and great to set up the savoury flavour in this, I had Paprika in the spice rack, but splash out on Spanish paprika if you wish. The Turmeric was mostly for colour, but also gives an earth taste.
I’ve been having serious mustard cravings, so tone it down if you are less of a fan. I tasted as I went and adjusted to taste. I could have spiced this up a little more, but honestly it had a good kick already. This Tofu mix could be used as a dip or spread as well, so pull some out to use later if you like the taste.
I would love to try this again with some Chorizo pieces, which are usually quite oily, so would require a reduction in oil.
Almost managed to turn it out on the plate perfectly...

Ingredients;
Sliced onion
Cooked Potato cubed
Sliced tomato
I pack Tofu
3 Spoonfuls of Engevieta, Nutritional Yeast
1 teaspoon Olive oil/ Tomato oil (from a jar of sundried tomatoes)
Soya milk
¼ teaspoon Mustard powder
¼ teaspoon Mustard
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
¼ teaspoon Tumeric
Salt and pepper

Method
Fry onion on a high heat in a little oil until lightly brown, add cooked potato and brown the edges, add the tomato slices in for a minute and season with salt and pepper.
Pour Tofu mixture into pan and fold into with other ingredients; let this cook whilst stirring to cook the tofu mixture, like you would with scrambled tofu.  When it starts feeling more firm, at least 10 minutes, leave it to become solid on the bottom. Pop this under the grill with a few sprays of cooking oil to let it crisp up.
Shake the pan to loosen the Tortilla.
Check by eye and when its browned up; Turn out onto a plate (carefully) and slice up.


Serve with a nice big dressed salad, or a hearty breakfast with Baked Beans and toast.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, that looks like it would make the best brunch or dinner!

    ReplyDelete